Sunday, May 15, 2011

My inner pest

We all have an inner voice. Some have a little voice that whispers to them. Mine is a screamer. My inner voice yells at me all the time and it has a tendency to sound like a cross between Sam Kinison and Lucy (of the Charlie Brown cartoons). Sometimes it drowns me out as I’m speaking by giving me such sound advice as “Shut up!”; ”Stop talking!”; “Arrggghh” (that's Lucy); ”What are you wearing?”; “What’s up with your hair?!”; “Crap!” and of course a lot of cussing which I won’t repeat. I have no idea where this inner voice came from… or even when it made its first appearance, but it constantly keeps me on my toes.

Some people say you should follow your inner voice. But I'm fairly certain that my inner voice is not to be followed. I’m not crazy. I don’t have any demons lurking in my psyche. But my inner voice is not one of the wisest of voices. In fact, for the most part when it’s not criticizing me, it’s usually humoring me with interesting but stupid thoughts. The other day it informed me that Bugs Bunny is really a jack rabbit and perhaps should not be trusted. A paranoid jokester...that's my inner voice.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment